Suffering from insomnia, migraines and back pain? Swap your feather pillow for a quality memory foam one! In contrast to the usual pillow, the memory foam pillow has anatomical properties. It adjusts to the individual contours of the head and cervical region and provides equable support. Rest on products with memory effect increases sleep productivity, relieves nervous and muscle tension, osteochondrosis, and also normalizes blood pressure. Keep in mind that not all such products will be beneficial for everyone. We’ve collected he best memory foam pillows you can buy in New Zealand in 2021!
Memory Foam material features
Memory foam is an innovative material made of viscoelastic polyurethane foam and other substances that increase its elasticity and density. It has a fine-pored structure and is easily permeable to air. Under the influence of the heat of the human body, the pillow adapts to individual contours, but quickly takes on its original form in the absence of the load. Such a product provides the necessary support for the head and relieves stress on the neck. Memory foam pillows have the following properties:
- Supporting properties
- Inability to form mold and mites
- Long usage time (from 5 years).
How to find the right Memory Foam Pillow for you?
While choosing such a pillow, pay attention to the quality and structure of the filler, as well as the individual characteristics of its future owner. Remember about the following subtleties when choosing a memory foam product for sleeping:
- The level of firmness of the product and the sleeping posture. For a person who prefers to rest on his back, medium-firm memory foam pillows are suitable. Are you a side sleeper? Choose stiff and tall models as they will provide even support for your head, neck and spine. Memory foam soft pillows are recommended for people sleeping on their stomach.
- Quality of the memory foam. Thermoplastic or viscoelastic polyurethane foam is used during memory foam pillow manufacture. Thermoplastic ones have less anatomical properties and greater rigidity, so sleeping on them is not much healthier than on feather pillows. Choose models made from viscoelastic polyurethane foam.
- The structure of the filler. Pillows consist of a single layer of memory foam or its crushed version. The first options have greater rigidity and orthopedic effect. They are suitable for people sleeping on their side or back. For others, we recommend pillows with crushed memory foam.
- Cooling layer. The peculiarity of memory foam material is the ability to keep warm for a long time. Because of this, such pillows will be uncomfortable for people living in hot countries or suffering from hyperhidrosis. In this case, choose models with an additional layer of cooling gel.
- Removable pillowcase. Memory foam pillows can’t be washed, which complicates the caring. Choose a product with a zippered cover that can easily withstand regular cleaning with water and detergents.
- CertiPUR-US certificate – a guarantee of the safety of the purchased pillow. It confirms that the product does not contain formaldehyde, heavy metals and other toxic substances.
NOTE: New memory foam products always have a synthetic scent that soon disappears. Air the pillow for 24 hours before using.
What Are the Pros and Cons of a Memory Foam Pillow?
Replacing a regular pillow with an orthopedic one is a great contribution to your health and well-being. Before purchasing the right one for yourself, read the information about the benefits and possible harms of such a model.
- Memory foam pillows relieve stress from the head and neck, evenly distributing it over the body. It normalizes the blood circulation in the brain and eliminates migraines, cervical osteochondrosis, snoring and apnea.
- Rest on the memory foam pillow removes muscle and nervous tension, immersing a person in a state of relaxation. Due to this, the problems of insomnia, superficial and restless sleep disappear and the productivity of rest increases.
- Sleeping in the correct position on the memory pillow improves cell regeneration and lymph circulation. This prevents edema, wrinkles on the face and neck, and also contributes to overall rejuvenation.
- Pillows based on viscoelastic polyurethane foam do not provoke allergies and create an optimal internal microclimate during sleep.
- Such pillows do not require complex maintenance and do not deform during their entire lifetime.
The main disadvantage of a memory foam pillow is the need to get used to it after many years of sleeping on a feather pillow. If the pillow seems too soft or hard to you, alternate it with a regular pillow for 1 week. Cheap memory foam products from unknown manufacturers can contain toxic synthetic impurities and harm your health. Buy memory foam pillows from reputable brands that specialize in orthopedic sleep products.
What Sizes of Pillows Are Available?
Choosing the right size for a memory foam pillow depends on the person’s shoulder width. The ideal dimensions for children are 20 x 30 cm or 40 x 40 cm. For adults of a standard physique the 60 x 40 cm models are suitable. People with a dense physique are recommended pillows with 50 x 70 cm dimensions.
The height of the pillow is also individual. Measure the length from the neck to the shoulder and add 1-2 cm. Based on the obtained parameter, you can easily select a perfect model with memory effect.
Best Memory Foam Pillow: Ortorex Contoured Orthopedic Memory Foam Pillow for Neck Pain
Ortorex Contoured Orthopedic Memory Foam Pillow gives everyone a comfortable rest! The anatomical product has a horizontal shape with a notch for the neck. The design together with the elastic material, helps relieve the load from the cervical spine and spread it evenly along the spine.
The memory foam material, under the influence of load, takes the individual contours of your head, neck and shoulders, immersing them in a state of weightlessness. The rigid model is equipped with a removable perforated cover for a massage effect.
Sleeping on such a pillow relieves muscular and nervous tension, eliminates insomnia, normalizes blood pressure, lessens pain in the head and neck. The size of the product is 50 x 30 x 10 x 5.5 cm. The Contoured Orthopedic Memory Foam Pillow is universally suitable for people who prefer sleeping on their backs and on their sides.
Best Cooling Memory Foam Pillow: Nestl Gel-Infused Memory Foam Pillow
The anatomical cooling pillow from Nestl is perfect for relaxing in the hot season and beyond. The product contains memory foam and crushed cooling gel. This combination gives the item excellent moisture-wicking and thermo-regulating properties. The standard rectangular shape is realized in 7 sizes, which makes it an ideal option for a person of any age and build. The product is completed with a removable bamboo zip cover. This natural, hypoallergenic and hygroscopic material can be easily washed without deforming.
Another advantage of this model is the ability to adjust the density of the filler. Anatomical properties and softness, combined with a moderate cooling effect, provide relaxation, reduce pressure on the cervical spine and enhance the properties of the cosmetic treatment used. We assure you that after sleeping on the Nestl Gel-Infused Memory Foam Pillow, you will no longer want to return to your regular down pillow!
Best Pillow for Side Sleepers: Leesa Luxury Hybrid Reversible Cooling Foam
The Leesa Luxury Hybrid Pillow is the best for the side sleeper. The model is produced in 2 sizes, suitable for adults of any complexion. The design of the reversible product is represented by a polyester microfiber top layer, a middle memory foam and a cool gel. The combination of these 3 fillers gives the product the medium firmness and elasticity. It is suitable for those who experience discomfort while sleeping on traditional memory foam pillows due to their softness.
The cool side of the model has a moisture-wicking effect, suitable for people with hyperhidrosis. The product is equipped with a removable insert for height adjustment. The pillow provides an even distribution of the load along the spine when resting on the side. The pillow is enclosed in a removable white cover made of hypoallergenic breathable fiber that is resistant to deformation. Leesa Luxury Hybrid Reversible Cooling Foam is one of the most practical models that can turn your ordinary relaxation into a meditation!
Best Pillow for Stomach Sleepers: Coop Home Goods Premium Adjustable Loft Pillow
Suffering from restless sleep? Sleep on the anatomical soft pillow from Coop Home Goods, even on your stomach! The horizontal rectangular model with memory foam filling has moderate supporting properties due to the adjustable height. Its owner will be able to independently control the amount of filler, creating an ideal bed for themselves to sleep. Rest on such a product does not provoke neck pain and swelling that appears during sleep in the wrong position.
The pillow is equipped with a white cover made of a combined hypoallergenic fiber that is soft, breathable and moisture-wicking. The model is produced in 2 sizes – King Size and Queen Size, and is suitable for children and adults. Coop Home Goods Premium Adjustable Loft Pillow has a 5-year warranty, but with careful use it will last much longer!
Best Budget-Friendly Pillow: Baceight Memory Foam Pillow Standard Cooling Gel Hypoallergenic
Choosing a pillow with memory effect at an affordable price? Check out this copy from Baceight! The memory foam and cooling gel sleep product is 13 cm high. Resting on it instantly eliminates muscle tension, headaches and evens breathing. The existing openings provide unhindered air circulation, moisture removal and an optimal internal microclimate.
The size of the product is 40 x 60 cm. The model with a high level of rigidity is suitable for people who sleep on their side and back. It easily adjusts to the contours of the human body and quickly takes on its original shape, retaining its performance properties from 3 years. The horizontal product with soft edges is enclosed in a light zippered pouch made of a hypoallergenic combination fiber.
All pillows listed above meet all the requirements for safety and high comfort, so they will find their buyer. The undisputed leader, in our opinion, is the Ortorex Contoured Orthopedic Memory Foam Pillow for Neck Pain model. Its distinctive advantages are, improved anatomical shape, universal size and rigidity. It is suitable for sleeping in any position, improving human well-being and delighting with a long service life!